Thursday, August 6, 2009

Reflection Week 4

Kimberly Ziccardi
Norman Chapel
6 August 2009

This week I found the discussion about the metaphors and analogies with spring grove interesting. One of my favorite ones was the one stating that Spring Grove Cemetery is like a museum without walls. Ever since I had my son, I make many connections to children’s activities such as Spring Grove is like taking your child for a last stop for ice cream before going home at night. Regardless of the way you look at Spring Grove, the fact remains the same; it is a very diverse and fascinating place.

With each week spent at the Spring Grove Cemetery I am amazed when discovering how much a cemetery has to offer a community. Clearly the highlight of this week was the Normand Chapel. To start, let me just say, it is an absolutely beautiful place. When my family and I first moved into our house we had stain glass windows and although most have been replaced we still have one left in our front door. This is where my appreciation for such gorgeous works of art came from. It blows my mind to think of how meticulously crafted stain glass such as that in the Norman Chapel is. Also the fact that weddings are held here blows my mind. I never would have assumed people would actually want to be married in a cemetery. This brings new light on the topic of a cemetery is just for death. This proves that cemeteries are also places of unification and new beginnings; a happy place, and one of which should be enjoyed and experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment