Thursday, August 27, 2009

Final Reflection

Kimberly Ziccardi
Spring Grove Cemetery
Hunley, Marcha
25 August 2009

Final Reflection

In the beginning, I was very skeptical about having a class centered around a cemetery and actually holding class at a cemetery. I had ideas engraved in my head like many others, that cemeteries were scary, creepy, and no place to be especially at night. I blame the media for the majority of these presumed stereotypes. Every scary movie portrays cemeteries as the scariest and most unpleasant place to be. Maybe it’s the idea that I’m only a few feet away from a dead body or maybe it’s the fear of when death may fall upon me. Moreover, shockingly, I honestly felt they were somewhat pointless and a waste of valuable space. I used to think “The people are already dead; it doesn’t affect them what happens now.” Trough these past nine weeks of class many of my first impressions have been proven inaccurate. It turns out that not only is Spring Grove not scary or creepy; it is gorgeous, with an assortment of plant and flower life. It is also a very valuable asset to the community and society as a whole.

I have personally found Spring Grove to be a very pleasant place. Whereas in the beginning I was wary about coming, as the weeks went on, I actually looked forward to it. There are no babies crying or parents arguing or out of control chaos. Everything is strategically planned organized and maintained everywhere from the placement of graves to the positioning of the flowers. The abundant plant life and the amazing variety of flowers offer beautiful scenery and a peaceful atmosphere. In fact, I’ve learned that many actually come to Spring Grove for events such as weddings and senior pictures. These events somewhat counteract any emotions attached with a stereotypical cemetery. There are also many activities that go on that are the same as those found in a park such as people taking long walks and bike rides through the winding roads. Others sit on benches in front of the lakes filled with ducks. Seeing a place so peaceful would only reiterate the foundation of which cemetery are based on; a place of eternal peace and rest.

Although Spring Grove is like the Champs Elysee of cemeteries, I believe it a long with every other cemetery is a direct reflection upon society. Spring Grove shows a society who is caring and dedicated to not only the living but the preservation and the well being of the deceased. Furthermore cemeteries are vital to the preservation of historical content. I agree with Marcha when she spoke about cemeteries being like a museum without walls. There is an overabundance of information engraved in each grave stone. The countless symbols and the phrases tell stories about past events and reflect how each individual would like to be remembered. Also, I had never realized how much cemeteries were designed for the living until now. Although I have not yet had anyone truly close to me pass away, I now know the importance of a cemetery on the basis of reflection. It allows the living to feel like there is still time to talk and say those last words they never had the chance to say. They offer a peaceful place for one to come and visit lost loved ones and reminisce on past memories and experiences. They bring closure for the simple fact that you know the one who has past is safe and never too far away.

One huge epiphany that came to me throughout the time spent here is that death is inevitable and sometimes closer than we hoped. Just like anything that evokes fear, I suppressed and ignored the issue altogether. While walking through the cemetery and reading some of the dates on the tombstones, my mind would often wonder off, imagining how I would die and at what age. I would then get somewhat depressed thinking of all the things I dream of doing in the future and haven’t had the opportunity to experience yet. I want to sky dive and visit Europe and be there for my son’s wedding. I would then snap back to reality and contemplate how I would like to be buried; in the ground, above ground, or cremated. Nor did I even consider how I wanted to be remembered by. This course definitely offers a new outlook on the importance of cemeteries and life in general. Constantly being surrounded by dead bodies definitely puts the time factor of life into perspective. It just reiterates the age old phrase, live each day as if you were to die tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment